Just moved older home page over and installed this new Wordpress vanilla template.
Tried it but started getting php errors. Thankfully i had saved my backup instructions.
Please save following information. You will need it in order to restore if something went wrong
If you don’t have SSH access, ask support to help you:
– Remove the directory /home/account/public_html/blog
– Untar /home/account/fantastico_backups/blog.backup.tgz
– Empty the database dbname
– Import the file /home/account/fantastico_backups/blog/backup.sql into the database dbname
– Move /home/account/fantastico_backups/blog to /home/account/public_html/blog
FunPlacesKids.com is our new project. Its a highly customized word press powered website listing fun and exciting places for kids. The home page displays a google map with flags pointing to different kids locations. The flag images are based on categories. I am really excited on this new .com project, and hope to list out all the fun places for kids in Us soon.
Checked the stats, about 64 people have downloaded on the first day, and above a 1000 on the second day of release. Was a pleasant surprise!!
It was rejected yesterday because of a call to non public api called terminate. I fixed it in the evening, and resubmitted. And today it was all clear for the public, ready to be sold! Well its going to be free for now.
Just got another valuable resource in learning polishing my cocos2d skills. Cocos2d is an excellent framework for developing 2D games. The book can be purchased from Packt Publishing. It comes with a few example games. Plan on reading through and learning more.
Cocos2d for iPhone 0.99 Beginner’s Guide
Been a long time i havent written my blog. I was busy studying Natural Language Processing taught by Professor Chris Manning from Stanford. It was a a pretty useful course, and was very hands on with 3 programming assignments and a final project.
These are the few things that i learned and found very useful.
- Machine translation using parallel corpa from different language. We implemented various IBM models for machine translations. Heart of them was EM algorithm
- Creating language model one of the assignment made us create a language model from european parliment text and de scramble emails
- Max Ent to label entities in a biological corpus
- Wrote a part of speech parser
My final project was to predict stock volatility from quarterly transcripts. We used Scalar vector regression using features such as bag of words.
All in all it was a pretty useful and hands on course.
Always put a protective stop loss once a stock is bought!
The stop loss could by 1 or 2 Average True Range (the approximate variation a stock does on e.g. daily basis i.e. if you are looking at daily charts). Or the stop loss could be one or 2 points below the last low the stock made. What ever the criterion you choose to put a protective stop loss, calculate the per unit risk which is the price the stock – stop loss price i.e. the money you can loose on the stock if stocks goes in the wrong direction and hits the stop loss.
Rule: The total risk on all your stocks should never exceed 2 percent of your total trading money.
e.g. You have 10000 to trade with. 2% of 10000 is 200 dollars. Bought AT&T 9symbol T) at 24.95 and placed protective stop loss at 22.95. Risk per stock is 2. Since the total maximum risk you are allowed to take is 200, you can buy 200/2 i.e. 100 stocks of T. If you buy more than you are taking more risk than necessary.
Also only trade those setups that you think are going to give atleast 2wice or 3rice your risk. In the above trade you are doing the trade because you expect the stock price to jump 4 or 6 dollars from the current price of 24.95 vs your stop loss of 2 dollars below the current price. i.e. you reward to risk ratio should be 3 or above before you get into any trade. See the coin toss analogy (lesson 10).
Trade with small risks (i.e. less than 2% of equity). This way you can sleep tight without ever loosing a lot, yet making decent profits.
If there is one single rule one should always follow, its to follow the direction of the market. If the market is up only trade long. If the market direction is down trade shorts. Markets can only be in 3 states.
- Up – The market is in bull moving up
- Down – The market is in a correction moving down.
- Side Ways – Market is range bound
80 percent of stocks follow the market direction. So to increase your chance of success , one needs to know the direction of the market. Remember trading is about increasing your chances of success (see lesson 1 analogy gambling with coin toss), and your chances increase if you trade in the market direction.
How does one find the direction of the market.
1) Apply technical analysis on the market index. e.g apply the concept of moving average i.e. strategy 1 on the whole market e.g. on the Dow Jones Industrial Index or Nasdaq, or S&P 500. See if the moving average for each of the market points up or down or sideways.
2) Read market news. e.g. Investor Business Daily publishes daily news and tells the overall market condition as confirmed uptrend, confirmed downtrend or market under pressure. The daily videos also mention the market direction.
Added search and save functionality to http://www.pricethinker.com. This is the second phase of the tool where it will web out to other sites.
This is a great lecture by Mohammad Younus the Nobel Peace Price Winner for work for micro credit for poor people. The lecture is very interesting how the bank for poor people works. He simply reverses the rules of modern day commercial banks and the bank still works. It is a non profit bank i.e. the earnings are re-invested into the bank. It is a truly an eye opener, that there are alternative ways of doing things.
The key concepts of operations are.
- Small loans to poor people, with no collateral
- No penalization if poor person cannot repay a loan. The only thing he looses he will not be able to get a loan again
- Bank goes out to people, especially women, instead of people coming to the bank. The especially go for women who do not know what to do with the loan
- The interest never exceeds the principal. This is in contrast to the loan sharks
- No business plan needed for the loan. Every human is an enterpeneur
- No training given to the loan beneficiary. The loan beneficiary uses own creativity to find the right business
It is truely amazing how this bank works. His goal is to have a world without poverty.
Last lesson was a strategy on trading using the direction of the moving average. If a long term moving average (50 or 100 day) direction is up one must buy stocks. If it is down one must short stocks.
The strategy can be improved. Add this as a qualifier to the moving average strategy.
“Buy a stock when the moving average direction is up” and “Wait for a pull back”
When the moving average turn upwards wait for a pull back. This point will be more favorable in terms of odds (see lesson 1 comparison to coin toss gambling). The idea is to buy the stocks when odds are most favorable to you.